Traumatic Injuries

When mouth injuries are sustained they could cause a tooth or teeth to get pushed back into their sockets. The common treatment is to have an endodontist reposition the damaged tooth/teeth and stabilize it/them.

Within a few weeks of the injury it is recommended that root canal treatment be commenced in order to place medication such as calcium hydroxide inside the damaged tooth. Once treated, it is recommended that permanent root canal filling be implanted.

In other cases, a tooth may only be pushed partially out of the socket. In these cases, an endodontist will reposition and stabilize the tooth/teeth. No further treatment is necessary if a tooth pulp remains healthy. However, root canal treatment becomes necessary if a tooth pulp has become infected or damaged.